Prom Dress Drama

creative commons

Gwen Morovitz, Editor in Chief

As the end of the 2019-2020 school year approaches, slowly yet surely, so does another important date: senior prom. A night that has been long awaited for many students and highly anticipated.

One of the most stressful parts of the prom experience is buying the perfect dress, and ensuring no one else has the same one. The past few years, senior girls have taken it upon themselves to create a “khsprom” account on Instagram. This account’s purpose is to post dresses for sale among seniors, and for girls to send in their dresses to be posted, in order for everyone to know who has what dress and what not to buy when shopping. However, it seems as if the purpose of the account and the true result of it are greatly different. 

I’ve personally noticed more people using the account as a way to make fun of or put down dresses that girls have purchased and submitted, and what was once made to be a great forum for girls to admire one another’s dresses, has become a ruthless battlefield of judgement and jealousy. 

It is by no means the fault of the creator of the accounts over the years, and certainly not a new occurrence, as this happened last year as well.

Many girls have chosen not to submit their dresses in fear of being scrutinized behind their backs at their choice in dress. Others submit their dresses in plain hope that no one copies their choice…almost every girl’s worst fear. 

What was once a highly anticipated and sought after night among high school students, has, as almost everything does in high school, taken a more dramatic and negative turn. Women should be building each other up rather than tearing down. Through life we face so many obstacles and come across too many people that bring us down, it only benefits to spread positivity, there is no drawback. Regardless of the critical thoughts of some of our peers, it is important to keep the once in a lifetime day in tunnel vision, and see it as one step closer to graduation and the gateway to college and the rest of our lives.