KHS War on Vaping

Creative Commons

Koen Samuel, Assistant Editor

Over the past few weeks, vaping has been a talking point for the American public, particularly among the youth. E-Cigarettes and vaping were seen as better alternatives to smoking, but now, not so much. Hundreds of vaping related illnesses have been reported, and there have been near a dozen deaths. These events caused New York’s governor Andrew Cuomo to announce a while back that his state would be placing a ban on all flavored E-Cigarettes. Massachusetts recently announced for a four month ban on all sales of vaping products. 

The issue has also garnered national attention with President Trump recognizing and stating he plans to combat the issue, and many public service ads being created to inform youth and adults alike to become aware of the real cost. The CEO of Juul has also stepped down and the company has stopped advertising. 

Keller HS students have sought their own campaign to combat the problem at hand, creating the newest club, Keller TAV (Teens Against Vaping). The club was approved by administration on August 21 and two weeks later that they held their first meeting. They immediately began campaigning around the school, putting up signs and making an attempt to spread the word amongst fellow students. 

In total, the morning and after school meetings saw around four dozen students attend to show their support and join the cause. 

However, other students have voiced their skepticism of the club, noting that some of the members in the club actually vape themselves. This questions the seriousness and validity of the club. So for a second, let’s set aside the club’s slogans such as “It’s not cool to juul” and “Quit it don’t hit it,” and assess the club for what it’s worth. 

If the supposed assertions about the club are true that students in the club vape or have vaped before, what is the purpose of the club? I can understand if students are using the club as an outlet to come together and help their peers to quit their use of E-Cigarettes and vaping products. It is good to see that students can come together and communally try to solve an issue that is most definitely affecting our age group. 

While it would be nice to believe that this is the case, the assertions made against some of the club’s members cause me to believe that if the club is just a facade, why go through all the trouble to create a club that gives people on the outside a false hope that something is trying to be done. 

Despite there not being a definite way to measure if the club has any impact, questions such as those aforementioned can only be answered through time and student observations. But in the meantime, it’s good to see that the problems influencing the youth are trying to be vanquished at a grassroots level.