CBS 11 Pep Rally 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

CBS 11 Pep Rally 2019

Gwen Morovitz, Editor in Chief

The CBS 11 News team covered the first pep rally of the year for a part of their pep rally series. It was held at the KISD Stadium on August 30, the morning of the first home football game of the season.

Members of numerous school organizations attended the pep rally including; Business Professionals of America (BPA), National Honor Society, Choir, DECA, Basketball, Band, Speech and Debate, Student Council, Indianettes, Operation Beautiful, football, and cheerleading.

CBS 11’s meteorologist Anne Elise Parks interviewed members of BPA with the student section screaming behind them and the band playing nearby. At 5 AM it was surprising to see the number of students who arrived to hold up signs and cheer on their school. 

The cheerleaders lined up next to DECA to show spirit for this competitive club as they were interviewed live.

Many of the organizations were excited to wake up early to have a chance to be on TV.

“Waking up at 3:30 was definitely not ideal, but the people I was with made it so fun. Seeing the sunrise with all my friends and teammates was an experience I will never forget,” junior varsity cheerleader and cheer officer Evan Althiede said.

The band performed from the stands while representatives told Parks of their many distinguished awards and their performance in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade last fall. 

Two Indianette officers, Allison Khong and Macy Lane, taught Parks a small part of their dance routine before showing off their own skills in a very well-coordinated dance performed to the song “We Run The Night” by Havana Brown.

Gwen Morovitz
Patrick Arzoumanian and Aleah Salazar represent Band in their interview with CBS 11’s Anne Elise Parks.

The news team made sure to shed plenty of light on the numerous clubs and organizations that normally don’t get the spotlight at pep rallies. DECA was able to spread the word of an important fundraising car show to support Keller Alumni Alex Viola, who passed away in 2013 after his service in the military.

The event ended with football representatives giving a rallying speech on how they plan on fighting for victory this season. 

The Keller vs Abilene Cooper game ended in a close loss, 20-21, but with strong spirits the varsity football team prepared for their next game away against Berkner in Richardson and won 43-12.

Gwen Morovitz
Macy Lane and Allison Khong teach Anne Elise Parks a part of their Indianette dance routine.