Keller Sends Seven Competitors to UIL Academic State

Abby Tow, Managing Editor

Keller’s UIL Academic teams recently had a successful Regional meet at the University of Texas at Arlington. Several students reached personal bests and seven advanced to the State contest across multiple teams.

Keller’s accounting team, made up of Sean Payne, Kenneth Chen, Evan Halvorson, and Lillian Vaughn placed 1st overall, sending the whole team to the state contest. Camilla Price, member of the spelling and vocabulary team, placed second, and is also state bound. Shray Gupta and Pete Walker, members of the mathematics and science teams, respectively, both placed third in their activities and are joining the rest of keller state-level competitors. While literary criticism competitors Abby Tow and Bryleigh Andrews did not advance to state, they placed 5th and 7th, respectively, a personal best for both at the region level.

This is the final stage of competition for academic, thus making it a culmination of, for some, years of hard work and studying. Many of the state advancers are seniors, making this an extra special achievement to top off their final year of high school. The cross-subject testing and varying activities represented by our students at state shows our dedication to every type of academic pursuit, from the humanities to S.T.E.M.

The state contest will be next weekend in San Antonio where Keller’s UIL competitors will join top scorers from all the regions across Texas. Our students’ work up to this point has been to reach such a prestigious level of competition, and they are expected to make quite the showing for Keller High School, Keller ISD, and our community.