Scandalized by the college admissions scandal

Back to Article
Back to Article

creative commons

creative commons

creative commons

Maggie Coleman, Staff Writer

Recently, there has been a college admissions scandal involving prominent celebrities. It’s been a hot topic among high school students in particular, since most are in the midst of applying to colleges and figuring out what they want to pursue at the higher levels of education.

The basis of this scandal is that wealthy parents paid to get their kids into extremely selective and academically rigorous colleges with a good reputation. Normal high school students already work hard to keep their grades high while participating in extracurricular activities with the hope that maybe they’ll be accepted to their dream school.

Not only is this scandal representative of the corruption in the college admissions system, but it shows that not everyone truly has an equal opportunity.

The two most well-known celebrities involved, Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman, have been highly publicized following the breaking of the news. In particular, Olivia Jade, Lori Loughlin’s daughter, has been scrutinized due to her big social media following. Her comments in the past about “not really caring about school” and only going for the “experience” are now being re-evaluated.

Understandably, people are furious. The combination of bribery and the lack of motivation on the daughter’s part has created outrage among those who are not celebrities (and more particularly, on Twitter as well).

The most concerning part about this scandal is that 50 parents took part in this scandal before it got noticed. That’s 50 spots in college that could have gone to students that actually worked for it.

There was no integrity, morals, or basic human decency shown by these parents. They were selfish and quite frankly, projecting themselves onto their kids when some (like Olivia Jade) didn’t even want to attend college in the first place. Just to show how serious this crime is, Lori Loughlin has a bond currently set at $1 million.

This admission scandal hits home for millions of students throughout the United States whose only goal at the moment is to attend college at places like Yale or Harvard. If these wealthy parents can finesse the admission system like this through nothing else but simple money, it shows that our system for admitting students into college needs to change so this can’t happen again.