The Background On New Badges

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Background On New Badges

ID badges are a hard thing to get used to, but necessary for safety.

Cyndi Lemke

Cyndi Lemke

Cyndi Lemke

Maggie Coleman, Staff Writer

Everyone is now extremely familiar with the new addition to their morning routine: wake up, get dressed, brush teeth, and put on their mandatory ID badge. It may seem like an unnecessary new step to your morning routine, but there is a very specific reason for making everyone at Keller High School show proper identification.

The rise of school shootings in 2018 and 2019 is a troubling statistic. More people have been injured or died in school shootings in the past 18 years than the entire 20th century (springer.com).  

Obviously, the banning of guns has become a hot topic and has divided Republicans and Democrats on how to best address the school shootings. Neither party can seem to agree or compromise, therefore no real action to combat school shootings has happened.

Not doing anything isn’t going to change the real issue of guns in schools. ID badges are a small step, but a small step is better than no steps.  

Making every student identify themselves helps to eliminate the option of a teenager walking into the school that isn’t enrolled. It makes the school safer and more secure.

It may seem like a pain to try and remember your badge every morning, but ultimately it’s a step closer to making school as safe as it can be, and letting students learn without the fear of guns.

Overall, I feel like ID badges are necessary for trying to make the school environment safer. It may be hard to remember it at the beginning, but after a period of time, I feel it will integrate into a student’s routine and become easier to remember.

No matter how it is achieved, the main goal is always a student’s safety while maintaining a safe learning environment. Hopefully adding ID badges will add another layer of protection to the school.