• Listen to NDN Radio at kndn.playtheradio.com

Dual Credit or Advanced Placement?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dual Credit or Advanced Placement?

Keller High School prides itself on their difficult and rewarding academic classes and their intelligent student body.

Gwen Morovitz

Gwen Morovitz

Gwen Morovitz

Gwen Morovitz, Assistant Editor

Registering for next year’s classes is one of the most difficult decisions for sophomores and juniors. When deciding what level classes a student wants to take, many factors have to be thought over. Where do you plan on going to college? In state or out of state? Some out of state colleges don’t accept dual credit classes as college credit, because essentially the credits transfer over from Tarrant County College, so it’s important to really look into the colleges you’re interested in and what they accept as credit.

In Dual Credit as a junior, the options are Dual US History and Dual Composition I and II. As a junior this year, I took all three classes and I’ve really enjoyed them. Ms. Correll, the US History teacher is a fantastic instructor who really keeps my attention even through the longest of power points and lectures. Her charismatic teaching style really captivates her students and makes her class exciting and less stressful than most. I had Ms. Huff for Composition I and II and I can attest to the amount of time and effort she gives to her essay assignments to make the class very easy to follow and keep up with. She gives her students plenty of class time to complete essays and writing assignments, as well as more than enough time to read in class the novels and plays for the Rhetorical Analysis assignments. I would highly suggest taking dual credit if the colleges you’re interested in are accepting of the Tarrant County College transfer credits.

In Advanced Placement classes, not only do students get the extra 10 points added to their grade point average, they also have the opportunity to earn college credit at the end of the course through an AP exam in the spring. In dual, your college transcript is started immediately as you begin earning grades in the class. However, in AP you must pass the exam at the end of the year to get college credit for the class. In junior year, the AP courses available include AP US History (known as APUSH), AP Physics and AP English III. Every person I’ve talked to in APUSH has told me that the hardest part of the class in comprehending the reading material. If you’re a diligent reader and can easily comprehend material in chapters, the quizzes are easy to follow along with and the tests are comprised of the quiz material. I chose to take AP Physics my junior year and honestly, I regret it. It is easily the hardest class I have ever taken, and the tests are intense. My teacher, Mr. Oliver, is easy to follow along with during notes, however it takes an intelligent understanding of the math and science that is quickly covered every week. AP English includes lots of reading and projects that require a good understanding of literature and presenting in front of the class.

Whether you choose to take AP or Dual Credit classes your junior year, both require a dedication to your schoolwork and a time commitment. Both important factors to keep in mind during registration.

About the Contributor
Gwen Morovitz, Assistant Editor

Hi there! My name is Gwen Morovitz and this is my second year on The Wigwam as an assistant editor. I’m super excited to be writing again this year,...