Studying tips

Studying tips

photo from creative commons

Maggie Coleman, Staff Writer

We are almost through with half the school year! As the year continues, midterms are approaching. As a senior, I’ve perfected my studying routine and after multiple AP classes, I feel like I can give studying tips to underclassmen or even who haven’t found a method that works for them. Finding an effective way to study will increase your grades, and will set you up for success in long-term education like college and graduate school. Making your study skills a priority will, therefore, make your education a priority as well.

One of the most important aspects of studying is making sure you have a quiet, distraction-free environment to study in. Making your own study space designed specifically for studying will make you more productive and focused. Doing homework and studying in your living room, for example, would not make for an ideal study space as there are too many potential distractions.

The biggest obstacle in studying for many students is procrastination. Putting workloads off until the last minute is counter-intuitive and does nothing put encourage bad habits in the long run. By beginning homework early and not racing to finish it, you will be able to spend more time on your work and put forth more effort into making it the best it can be. Beginning to study earlier than the day before your test and quiz will also help you retain the information better and make better grades.

Studying has tons of different components, but giving a lot of effort and being interested in what you’re studying will be the best advice of all. Hopefully these tips will help you begin to transform your studying for the better. Good luck to all those taking midterms soon!