Keller High School Drops The Mum

Student Service Organization teams up with the Keller Band to help families in need

Abby Tow, Managing Editor

Did you know that the average cost of a homecoming mum in Texas is $150? For that same amount, we can help provide food to a family of four for a month. For the past two years, the Student Service Organization has sponsored “Drop the Mum” on campus, a fundraiser that supports Community Storehouse in Keller.  This year, they are proud to join forces with the largest organization on campus: the Keller High School Marching Band! Together, they are presenting the “Homecoming for the Holidays” initiative. They are giving students an opportunity to take some of the money that they would spend on a homecoming mum and buy a “Drop the Mum” t-shirt at lunch over the next two weeks.  The money raised will be used to help make a difference for families that are struggling to put food on their table. While our band members are marching down 34th street in New York City, their efforts will help provide a Thanksgiving dinner for families back home. It’s another small way that we can continue to shine a light in our school and community.

“Drop the Mum began with Allie Weik on a small scale last year. She sold about a hundred shirts, but this year our goal is to sell 300. Now with the band’s help, we could sell about 800,” Sophie Zell, Senior and President of Student Service Organization, said.

Zell has decided to spearhead this project for the upcoming year in order to broaden the reach of Keller High School’s community involvement in hopes of bettering the lives of those around us.

“I think drop the mum is important because it’s so easy to get caught up in material things such as mums. We forget that people around us can’t even put food on the table,” Zell said.

This year’s fundraiser has a special significance because the entire project was designed and carried out by KHS students. There is no affiliation with national or bureaucratic organizations- 100% of the proceeds go straight into feeding local families.

Make sure to buy your drop the mum shirts to help spread love and kindness in our community. They’re on sale during all lunches through homecoming, September 6th. If you have any questions, contact Sophie Zell at [email protected] or ask at the ordering booth at lunch.

Abby Tow, Co-Managing Editor

Greetings! I’m Abby Tow and I’m so excited to be your co-managing editor for The Wigwam this year! I’m a poet and aspiring journalist, dog lover...