Things You Don’t Realize Until You’re A Senior

Things You Don't Realize Until You're A Senior

Natalie Hornbaker, Staff Writer

Reaching my final year of high school, I have spent a lot of time reflecting on my last three years and imagining what is to come. As application deadlines get closer and closer, I have compiled countless of “could haves” and “should haves” into a pile of regrets. Here’s to facing the future and making the best of it. Better yet, here’s to learning more and not repeating past struggles. Listen to these tips to have no regrets.

1. It’s never too early to start preparing.

SATs and ACTs are dreadful but so important. Usually finishing testing before your senior year is expected and ideal, but sometimes that just is not possible. Of course thinking about taking these tests during junior year seems torturous, but in reality when you are done with testing and have a score you are proud of you will be so relieved. Waiting until the last minute is extremely stressful, and I do not recommend it.

1. Don’t try and be something you’re not.

When writing essays for college, they truly do not care about the topic. They want to know that you can write coherently and use proper punctuation and that you are passionate about whatever you are writing about. If what you say is not genuine to you, it will not be an effective essay. Admissions officers always explain that their favorite essays have been simple and beautiful; write from your heart.

1. It’s important to have an outlet.

When applying to colleges you will be stressed out of your mind. Do not let the stress and expectations of others suffocate you. Finding an outlet that allows you to relax and take a breather is a necessity, whether it be binge watching shows, eating junk food or hanging out with your best friend. Excessively working will only make you miserable; find an escape.

1. What you think you want and what you actually want are two different things.

Have an open mind about everything. It is good to know what you want but it is unhealthy to think that in your future, your opinion on certain things will remain the same. Some of the best experiences come from the unexpected, so allow yourself to live in the moment.