Keller Band Update: Spring Edition

Meleah York, Staff Writer

Yes, the band’s marching season of 2016 has long since passed by, and while Spring Marching Band Camp will be starting the final week of school, let’s take a look back at some of the events that happened during Keller’s 2017 concert season.

First of all, the Keller band recently found out that it will be traveling to New York City for the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2018! This exciting and humbling honor was announced as an under-wraps surprise, and the band has already been recognized by the official Macy’s Twitter account. They look forward to the amazing opportunity to represent not only Keller High School and Tarrant County, but also the state of Texas.

The band also earned sweepstakes for the twenty-first consecutive year in all three concert band UIL performances. They also earned sweepstakes at the South Coast Music Festival in Corpus Christi before spending the remaining weekend by the beach and at Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio.

Band Banquet took place on April 29 at Great Wolf Lodge and included the awarding of scholarships to seniors and announcing the winners of the Keller Band Cooking Competition in Corpus Christi. The evening included dancing and swimming, as well as walking outside in wet swimsuits in the freezing cold wind Saturday night.

The band will have their Spring Concert and Benefit Dinner on May 19 to raise money for the program next year and play a new set of music different from UIL. The band is also looking forward to the coming marching season of 2017, starting with Spring Camp during the last week of school, and Summer Band Camp in the month of August.