Running Out of Steam

It’s the end of the school year…

Emily Semlow, Staff

It’s no secret that the second half of the school year is tough. Students are tired, teachers are just now getting their full groove when it comes to the project life, and for juniors, there’s an unbelievable amount of stress for the future that shouldn’t entirely be there.

Students are running out of steam.

From the perspective of a junior, this is probably one of the most tiring years, and it didn’t really kick in until now. Don’t worry, though, for the younger students who have not yet reached their junior year–it’s only as hard as you make it. Recently I wrote an article, “The Steps to Not Dropping Out of High School,” and though it was meant to be a funny joke, I attempted to add in actual useful information for the people who are just entering high school. And now that it’s reaching the end of the year, there’s most likely been more procrastination than ever.

Don’t give in to it.

Though many teachers give us projects to fill in time at the end of the year and whether they seem like easy, blow off projects, or the epitome of your school year, the projects can easily build up into a pile of work that anyone would loathe. And the thing is, the projects will always keep coming, and students will always be tired no matter what time of year it is. The only issue here is the complication of students running out of steam and lacking the motivation and exaggerated creativity that the school requires for every project we come across.

It’s understandable that teachers and school systems are attempting to apply a certain kind of thinking when it comes to going above and beyond on projects to extend our creativity and minds. However, it can go too far sometimes and this is what creates that exhaustion that many students start experiencing in the final six weeks of the school year. Sometimes a simple poster is enough. Not every project has to be above and beyond, and not every student can always reach those expectations.

There needs to be a balance in the type of assignments administered in the last bit of the school year instead of projects in classes that you never once got a project in getting thrown at you along with every other class’ class work. We’re not in college yet, and even in college we take less courses than the requirement in high school. There is no middle ground and it’s not just in school systems; it’s everywhere and it’s tiring.

Not only this, but if a student were to miss a few days of school, it might as well be the end of the world for them because of the amount of work that piles up. It’s terrifying to miss a day of work in high school just because of that. You never know what kind of surprise assignment you’ll come back to, and it’s usually never a good surprise.

One of the hardest thing on juniors this year, though, must be college and the idea that we should already know where we want to head in life because of the pathways that are now offered. Not only do these pathways focus on more sports and sciences than anything else, but they’re not exposing you to the possibilities of passions that it should be. If I had been exposed to half the courses I know about now in the beginning of high school, my entire high school experience would have been completely different. It’s more of the lack of exposure to the variety of courses our school has to offer, especially now with the KCAL building. There would be a lot less stress in students if our generation wasn’t so pushed in one direction over another. These pathways are supposed to open our minds and help us decide our passions early on, but in a way they’re restricting us and closing our minds off to other possibilities because of how directed and pushed you are once you decide what you want to do in the eighth grade.

Students are running out of steam, and teachers don’t understand how they need to find a balance the workload they provide their students with; it’s hard to even miss schools on some days because of this unbalanced workload, and deciding the rest of your life is coming too soon with the amount of resources students are given to find themselves. With the amount of stress and pressure our generation puts on itself, it’s a wonder how we even survive high school to begin with.