Mock Trial’s Successful State Competition

Creative Commons

Hannah Webb, Staff Writer

Keller High School Mock Trial traveled to Austin two weeks ago for the state competition. It was a successful weekend to say the least. Mock Trial and all of its different teams have been preparing for state since the start of the school year in August, and their hard work has paid off.

Keller Mock Trial is divided into three different branches, modeled after the actual state government. The Judicial branch models trial court, the Appellate program models appeals court, and the Legislative branch writes their own bills and presents them at state to attempt to get them passed through the model “Congress.”

The Appellate program within Mock Trial led by social studies teacher Stanton Cole had a huge win at state this year, with Nathan Allen and Pranav Vachaspati’s team receiving first place at state for the second consecutive year.

Keller’s Trial Court program sponsored by social studies teacher Bonnie McLaughlin also had tremendous success. The Trial Court team with Peyton Liang, Ryan Avezzano, Rohan Patil, Grant Rousseau, Maddie Medlin, Aubrey Ashton, and Chloe Stuart achieved sixth place, and Keoni Rios and Hayden Broom’s team achieved seventh place.

Overall, Keller Mock Trial’s state competition experience went extremely well (as it usually does). Next time you see your friends in Mock Trial, congratulate them on a successful year and state competition!