Dear Underclassmen

Dear+Underclassmen

Mackenzie Tomlinson, Spotlight Editor

You may not realize it now, but high school is going to go by fast. It seems like just yesterday when I entered this school as a impressionable freshman who was excited and scared for the next four years, and who still wore jeans with tennis shoes. You may hate high school, and you may wish it was over as soon as possible. But you shouldn’t spend these four years complaining and whining- you should make the most of it.

First of all, you are not too cool to go to football games. If you claim that they are “the mindless entertainment of the masses,” you need to get over it, Holden Caulfield, and stop hating fun. Football games where some of your best memories are going to be made. You and all your friends, and even people you don’t know or don’t like are all going to be there, rooting for the same thing. How often are all of us on the same side? Never. As long as you don’t come down to the front (hey, we’re seniors- we earned it,) you can enjoy yourself and see some Thursday/Friday night lights.

Don’t waste these four years sitting in your room, calculating what grades you need to make to get a 4.0 and get into Princeton. School is important, but it’s not more important than actually enjoying high school and enjoying your last four years with the people you’ve grown up with. In 20 years, no one will care what grade you got on the AP chem test, but what will matter is your good memories and the people you met.

Lastly, you are not too good for cafeteria chicken rings. Try them at least once.

High school will hopefully not be the best years of your life, but that doesn’t mean you have to be bitter and hate everything during those four years. You can’t decide high school is going to suck, you have to actively work to make it not suck.

Good luck out there!

Your friendly neighborhood Senior