What it’s like to work at Whataburger

Jamie Hoover, Staff Writer

If you have lived in Texas, you have been to the oh-so famous “Whataburger”, and if you haven’t, you definitely know what it is. We all know Whataburger as the Friday night hangout after football games, but have you ever wondered what it’s like to work at this popular joint? I sat down with Emily Kunz, former employee, who shared her thoughts on what it’s really like to work at Whataburger.

Emily worked at Whataburger for about 3½ months, and didn’t necessarily enjoy every second of it. Emily originally got the job just by walking into Whataburger and the manager asking her if she and a friend wanted a job. Emily, who at the time did need a summer job gladly took up the offer and came to work the next day.

“It was weird at first, but everyone was super nice, and welcoming. They first trained me at the fry station which was super gross, because of all the grease involved, but then moved me to the front counter which is where I always work now”.

Emily doesn’t have to work nights, so she doesn’t know what it’s like to work with tons of high school kids coming in at 1 a.m. But, she did say that “even during the day Whataburger gets a lot of customers that come in”. Emily also said that “Whataburger isn’t the coolest place to work at” but the best part about it is “the friendships I’ve made with the other employees”.

“I’ve become close with a few people and thats why its fun to come to work because I get to hang out with them”.

But, although it can be fun “sometimes”, the worst part is how “mean the customers can be”. Emily told me how the customers who come in are really “inconsiderate and rude and don’t clean up after themselves.” So, overall Emily would not really recommend this job to someone who’s wanting something long term, but if you’re looking for just something for the summer “go for it”!