The 80’s Lied to Us?

Jack Steyer, Staff Writer/Photo Editor

Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Ferris Bueller’s Day off, Back to The Future. All great movies from the 80’s that tell us stories of what high school is like. If you’ve seen the movies, you’ve probably noticed how different high school is in real life compared to in the films. Not to say school would be exactly the same today as it was back in the 80’s, but the difference between the two is just too great to ignore.

As a young boy, Ferris Bueller taught me that you could get away with anything in high school, and nobody really cared except for your sister maybe, but that’s far from the truth. School resembles more of a prison type situation today, and the “Bueller… Bueller… Bueller..” teachers don’t really exist. The odds of your principal personally hunting you down through your city to catch you red handed are a billion to one. Although it’s such a good movie, and I wish I could get away with as much as Ferris did; it’s very far fetched. Hijacking a parade float and singing “Twist and Shout” by The Beatles isn’t something normal high school kids do, but we didn’t know any better.

The Breakfast Club is another example. A bunch of guys getting away with running around the school when they should be in detention. Fast Times at Ridgemont High taught me that you could get high and order pizza in class and get minimal consequences. So why isn’t high school really like this? I mean, did the Hollywood directors even go to high school? Are they just portraying their idea of a perfect high school? Who knows. Maybe they’re just movies, but I’m still waiting on that golden opportunity to befriend a mad scientist and go back into the past, living the lives of my parents as high schoolers.