Senioritis Isn’t Real

Megan Mousaw, Online Editor

Most of you who aren’t seniors yet are probably looking forward to senior year because it’s the “easiest year of high school”. Wrong. Senior year is hard, harder than junior year, which is saying a lot. Senior year may look fun, but it’s one of the most important years of your high school experience.

Depending on the type of student you are, you get two choices (some classes three) types of classes: regular, dual (depends), and AP. When you get to senior year, you don’t think that you need to take a regular class because hey, you’re a senior and you’ve been doing this for the past four years. No, wrong. Some of the hardest classes are in your senior year, whether you’re in regular or AP. How easy your senior year depends on how many regular or AP classes you take, and sadly, most seniors take anywhere from one to all AP classes. AP classes are great and all, but future seniors, I suggest limiting yourself. Senior year is about so much more besides school work, and you are going to want to enjoy everything your last year in high school has to offer.

Seniors have the major and daunting task of applying for colleges. It may sound simple, sure, but it’s so much more. Figuring out what you want to do in the future, where you want to go, how much are you willing to spend for college, what scholarships you can apply for, making sure your transcript tooks good, having good recommendation letters and essays are just a few of the things seniors have to worry about when college-applying season comes around. It gets very stressful on top of everything else we have to juggle, like school work and maintaining good grades while having a part-time job.

In the end, I can say with full confidence that senioritis is a myth. No matter how hard you try, you CANNOT slack off during your senior year, especially your first semester. So let this be a warning to all of you that you shouldn’t underestimate senior year, because it will slap you in the face within the first week of school.