What Does the Yak Say? Go to YAK Fest!

What+Does+the+Yak+Say%3F+Go+to+YAK+Fest%21+

Laura Fisher, Photo Editor

While the name YAK Fest may bring up thoughts of large, roughly furred, horned animals having a party, it is not exactly what it is. YAK Fest (Young Adult Keller Fest) is coming back to Keller ISD, and unfortunately, not with real YAKs. Instead, 25 award-winning authors, book/ t-shirt sales, food, coffee, music, photo booths and opportunities to question authors will be available at Central High School.

The KISD librarians planned the third annual YAK Fest to provide young adults an opportunity to connect with literature and authors in a non-academic setting. This event is from 9-5pm on Saturday, January 25th.

“Students who like to read and write will enjoy YAK Fest,” Keller librarian and co-organizer Lucy Kubo said.

The authors attending are: Jessica Brody, Cassandra Rose Clarke, Tracy Deebs, Christa Desir, Colin Gilbert, T. M. Goeglein, Mary Gray, Jeff Hirsch, Polly Holyoke, Tara Hudson, Sophie Jordan, Julie Kagawa, Kody Keplinger, Mary Lindsey, Diana Lopez, Mari Mancusi, Emily McKay, Megan Miranda, Joy Preble, Heather Reid, Victoria Scott, Megan Shepherd, Neal Shusterman, Andrew Smith and Tim Tingle.

“I’m so excited to be a part of Yak Fest again this year. I’ll be signing Fragile Spirits,” author Mary Lindsey posted on Facebook.

The schedule allows attendees to choose between a variety of sessions including: poetry, paranormal activity and fantasy.  Since the theme this year is “Edge of Escape,” the Escape Hatch rooms allow young readers a chance to escape into a peaceful room in order to read and spend time with the authors.

Follow @YAK_Fest and tag #YAK14 on Twitter to get your name put into the raffle to win prizes this Saturday!