End of an Era

Lindsey Faust, Spotlight Editor

Economics: A scary word for underclassmen hearing it uttered from the mouths of seniors…. And still a scary word for the seniors learning all about it. But something makes economics different than all the social studies that precede it. Economics is happening right here, right now. It is finally knowledge that students need, content that is crucial before graduation and college and adult life. AP Micro- and Macroeconomics teacher Ellen Tennison recognized that special quality in economics and devoted herself to its teaching.

Prior to teaching at Keller High School, Mrs. Tennison worked a corporate job as vice president of service delivery at national co-op VHA. She left her well-paying job behind seven years ago in favor of a classroom within the four walls of our very own school.

“I wanted to do something that I felt had more of an impact on young people’s lives,” Mrs. Tennison said. “I evaluated different options and chose teaching because I knew I’d have the chance to work with seniors about their next phase in life.”

Mrs. Tennison places large emphasis on the enrichment of her students’ lives as a whole, expanding past the realm of the academic classroom.

“Most importantly,” Mrs. Tennison said, “I like trying to get kids to think bigger about the future and see themselves as successful and seeing themselves doing things that they love.”

However, Mrs. Tennison has decided that her time as a teacher has come to an end, and she would like to pursue a corporate job again.

“I’m looking at going back into healthcare management,” Mrs. Tennison said. “I like change and new adventures.”

Mrs. Tennison’s husband works in the Midland/Odessa area of West Texas and has commuted weekly for over a year. In part, Mrs. Tennison has chosen her career change in order to spend more time with him again.

“It’s time to go ahead and make us a priority again,” Mrs. Tennison said. “We’re going to travel around Texas and do more just the two of us.”

While Mrs. Tennison is excited to delve into new work once more, she recognizes the gravity of her relocation and offers parting words to her beloved school.

“[A fellow teacher] sent me an email saying ‘The Tennison Era is coming to an end.’  All four of our kids have graduated from Keller; for the last 17 years there has been a Tennison at Keller High School,” Tennison said. “I just want to acknowledge what a part of our life this high school has been and how wonderful the people have