21st Century Classrooms

Cameron Burleson, Bulletin Editor

Living in the 21st Century, it is almost impossible to ignore the constant technological changes around the world. In every aspect in life, it seems as though technology has been put on the forefront of improvements and innovations. Walking through the hallways, it would take less than a few seconds to spot someone talking on their iPhone 5c or playing games on the newest addition of the Android phones. It seems as though technology has overtaken our generation, but some are questioning whether it can be effective in the classroom.

In 2012, many Texas school districts announced they would be moving toward more technologically efficient classrooms. School officials pushed for this proposal in hopes that it could reduce the cost of buying new books every year. Though this seemed like a unanimous decision, the public has not seemed to react positively to the new idea.

“I don’t think it would be a great idea. If we begin to replace books with technology, cheating can become easier to do, and students could simply Google answers instead of reading their books,” a parent of a high school student Matt Little explains.

Though some of the parents and teachers are not necessarily in support of the new idea, many students have come up in support of the new idea.

“We already use Mac Computers, Laptops and iPads in our classes, so I don’t see why this would be a big difference anyway. It honestly would make the lives of the students, and probably even the teachers, a lot easier,” a KISD student Brian Jenkins said.

When analyzing both sides of the argument, it wouldn’t be far fetched to understand how both sides feel. Many of the parents worry that the credibility of the students work could be compromised, but the students feel as though cheating is always a possibility with anything.

“If someone wants to cheat, they are going to cheat. Holding back progress because of it, doesn’t make sense if you ask me,” Jenkins said.

Nevertheless, many of the Texas Districts, including KISD, have held off on enforcing the proposal completely, but minor improvements have been made concerning current technology in the classroom. Though the electronic take over seems overwhelming and unnecessary to some, it cannot be denied that times are changing. Technological advancements are becoming more and more prominent in classrooms, and it seems like just a matter of time until every classroom will become accustomed to the new digital age.