Somebody’s Watching You

Lindsey Faust, Bulletin Editor

Facebook. Twitter. Instagram. Vine. As fun as these social networks are to use to connect with friends and celebrities, certain precautions should be taken before posting – because your friends and followers aren’t the only ones who can access your profiles. Universities and companies can – and do! – monitor online profiles in order to make executive decisions on whether or not to admit or employ you. With that in mind, here are some tips on how to clean up your online act and impress colleges or potential employers:

• Don’t complain about school. I know, I know, this one can be tough. But how many universities would look favorably on a student whose most recent tweet says “Ugh, KHS sucks. #hatethisplace”?
  • Do focus on the positive. Show your best side to the employers or schools who could be looking at your profiles. Post positively about the things you enjoy – everyone loves to see people being passionate.
  • Don’t post things that are illegal. This one should be a given, guys. But I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Instagram photos of kids holding red Solo cups or tweets about how crazy their night was. Your peers don’t think it’s cool, and schools and companies certainly won’t either.
  • Do be aware of your online presence. No one likes a person who uploads, shares or posts forty million times a day, and colleges and businesses will come to the conclusion that if you’ve been posting that often, you haven’t been invested in anything else (i.e. school).
  • Don’t be a jerk. Come on, y’all, this one’s a given too. The Golden Rule applies online as well: Treat others as you would like to be treated.