The A-B-C’s of Making A’s

Lora Pippin, Staff Writer

Two in the morning and another cup of coffee down- a few more hours of studying and a power nap should be sufficient for that upcoming test. Wondering if you’re studying techniques will pay off? Below are some ways that will help you walk in on test day with the confidence to conquer.

According to a Times Article, Highlighting Is a Waste of Time: The Best and Worst Learning Techniques, there are some study happens you might want to avoid and some you should pick up if you plan on acing your next test.

Study habits to keep:

1. Take a Practice Test- Making your own test or finding a practice test online is proven to help future retrieval of information. It also gives you an idea on what your weak and strong areas are.
  2. Flash Cards- Repetition is your friend. Using flashcards is proven to speed up study time and make remembering specific facts like dates, names, and definitions easier to remember.
  3. Explaining Concepts Out loud- This allows you to draw connections, see events in order, and see which specific facts you know.
  4. Summarize- Instead of trying to remember whole chapters, summarize and only study what is most important.
  5. Taking Breaks- Give yourself some time every now and again so studying doesn’t get tedious and overwhelming.
  6. Soft Music- Listening to instrumental music while studying is proven to stimulate the brain and help with memory.

Study habits you should scrap:

1. Highlighting and Underling- While it makes key words stand out, it is proven to distract students from making connections and seeing the ‘big picture’.
  2. Cramming- Yes. You know who you are- the one who spends the night before a big test trying frantically to figure out what you don’t understand and have forgotten. While this technique might get you through the test, you don’t retain the information and are likely to forget it.
  3. Pulling an All-Nighter- According to a National Health Institute study on teenage sleep deprivation, lack of sleep causes a decrease in concentration and a drastic drop in student test scores. Try spacing out study successions so you don’t go into a test exhausted. By studying a little each day, the material will stay in your long-term memory.

It’s important to remember that every person has their own study techniques and to use what works best for you.