Open-Minded about Closed-Campus

Hope Clark, Trending Editor

Keller High School is reinforcing closed campus lunch this year to ensure safety for students and faculty.

An open campus can be dangerous because the school cannot control what or who is going in and going out.

“It just creates a very unsafe, unstable environment and we just can’t have unsafe and unstable,” assistant principal George Brown said.

A closed campus can bring ease to students and parents, providing a better education experience.

“It keeps the school safe so that parents who trust us with the safety of their children can feel confident that they are just that- safe,” Brown said, “And children who appreciate the idea of having a safe school to come to can focus on their studies and academics knowing that they are in a safe learning environment.”

Last year, students left regularly for lunch – against district policy – during their extended lunch period. To stop this trend, Keller is working to inform students and their parents of the closed campus policy.

“We have communicated with parents and we have made known that the things that they’ve heard in the past about us being an open campus and kids being able to leave for lunch were not correct and are not in compliance with district policy,” Brown said, “We’ve informed and tried to educate our students to make them understand what the rule is.”

To guarantee this safe learning environment, Keller High has taken several measures to prevent students from leaving during lunch.

Security guards monitor students who enter and leave the building to keep the campus safe. Students caught leaving campus for lunch will be punished.

“The first time you could maybe get a warning or you could get Saturday school. Subsequent times you might get a little more, like two Saturday schools or in-school suspension. If someone is just really out of control then of course they could probably be suspended, but hopefully we won’t get to that,” Brown said.

Students may resent the closed campus policy, but administrators have their best interests at heart.

“It’s not about us wanting to oppress students or flex our muscles. It’s all about safety and security which at the end of the day every parent, every student, and every teacher can say is something that we need.”