Going to College for Calling Ducks

Going to College for Calling Ducks

Abba Hernandez, Decades Editor

If you find yourself, like me, torn between your slowly increasing need to sleep and procrastinate and the harsh reality of having no spare change for your college education, then you have set your eyes on the right place. Scholarships are offered through a variety of people, organizations, foundations and activities. Because you are struggling, here are the top 20 weirdest and easiest scholarships to look into for this year and next!

1. Do you have to duck under doorways? Do you frequently receive hilarious commentary about “how the weather is” way up there? Then the constant teasing and comments have paid off, literally…! If you are a male 6′2″ or taller, or a female 5′10″ or taller, then you can be in the running for the Tall Clubs International Scholarship. All you have to do is write a simple essay entitled “What Being Tall Means to Me,” and you could be the recipient of $1,000.

2. If you are left-handed and go to Juniata College (Huntingdon, PA), then you can try to get up to $1,000 that is offered to two left-handed students each year. Call 814-641-3142 for more information about the Frederick and Mary F. Beckley Scholarship.

3. Is it rabbit season or duck season? You should check, and try to win the Chick and Sophie Major Memorial Duck Calling Contest. This is open to any high school senior in the US who is adept at calling ducks. The winner gets a $1,500 scholarship, with first runner up getting $500, second runner-up getting $300, and third runner-up getting $200. Call 870-673-1602 or visit the website for more information.

4. Smells like college debt. The Fragrance Research Fund makes a scholarship of up to $50,000 available to clinical psychologists who are completing post-graduate research in aromachology, the study of smell! You can get in touch with the Fragrance Research Fund at 145 East 32nd St., New York, N.Y. 10016-6002.

5. If you excel in academics, athletics, leadership and community service while sporting a milk mustache, then you can get the Scholar Athlete Milk Mustache of the Year (SAMMY) Award.

6. The Patrick Kerr Skateboard Scholarship is available for students with a solid GPA (above 2.5), who like to ollie, fakie, grind, kickflip and study (you don’t even have to be good at skating). There’s a $5,000 scholarship and three $1,000 runner-up scholarships.

7. It’s not what you know, but whom you share last names with. If you are fortunate enough to have the last name Van Valkenburg, or a slight variation, then you are eligible for the Van Valkenburg Memorial Scholarship, which offers $1,000. It is not restricted to a specific university. I, for one, am rushing down to the courthouse to have my name legally changed.

8. Always eating fries? The Potato Industry Scholarship might be for you! It is up to $2,000 awarded to two senior graduate students who are in a field of study related to potatoes.

9. The NCTA Help Santa Find the Perfect Real Christmas Tree scholarship offers $5,000 – $10,000 to persons ages 6 to 16 for the winning essay.

10. If you can predict the future, then you might be able to get the Excellence in Predicting the Future Award. This scholarship is designed to encourage students to pursue economics and take part in the prediction market.

11. Make prom memorable and profitable! The Duck Brand Duct Tape Stuck on Prom Contest offers $6,000 to the winning couple that makes their prom outfits out of duct tape. Persons who wish to enter are given a large selection of tape to use.

12. If you aren’t tall enough for the tall scholarship, maybe you’re short enough for the short one. The Billy Barty Foundation offers scholarships to students who are short in stature. One needs to be shorter than 4′10″ and have medical form as proof of dwarfism. For more information, call the Foundation at (818) 953-5410.

13. If you like apple pie, then you’ll love this scholarship. Students can enter the Culinary Institute of America’s All-American Apple Pie Recipe Contest. The person with the best recipe will win $25,000 for college. Second place takes $15,000 and third gets $10,000. Call 1-800-CULINARY for more information.

14. The Writers and Illustrators of the Future Contest awards a scholarship to student authors and illustrators in the genre of science fiction. All those years of obsessing over Battlestar Galactica may finally pay off for Sci-Fi fans.

15. Consider the Vegetarian Resource Group Scholarship. If carnivores annoy you, then you can finally get back at them by getting money for your beliefs (up to $10,000 to be exact). All students need to apply is to have promoted vegetarianism in their schools and/or their communities.

16. What is your favorite fabric? If it’s wool, then you might be able to get a scholarship via the National Make It Yourself with Wool Competition (you could enter even if you didn’t like wool). If you are an ace in the area of fashion and you can make garments out of 100% wool (or 60% wool blend), then you should enter the competition.

17. Star Trek Fan? The Klingon Language Institute (yes, there is one) awards $500 each year to a student who is in the field of language study. Don’t worry, you don’t need to know Klingon to get the scholarship.

18. Want money for college almost as much as you want candy? The American Association of Candy Technologists (AACT) gives out a total of $10,000 to high school students who are interested in confectionery technology. I guess people can offset the outrageous dentist bills by having a college scholarship.

19. Band kids! Show up the football players and apply for this scholarship! The School Band and Orchestra Magazine Scholarship gives scholarships to musicians who have written great essays. There are a variety of topics, but one past topic was “How a Music Education Has Made Me a Better Student.”

20. If you are entering college, Tylenol may become a necessity. If you are trying to pay for college, the Tylenol Scholarship can help you there, too. In 2006 alone, over $250,000 was given to students all across the nation. Subsequently, many parents experienced headache relief as their college financial issues were taken care of by the medicine company.