Amari Cooper Saved the Dallas Cowboys Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Evan Starr, Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboy season was looking grim after a two game losing skid to the Washington Redskins and Tennessee Titans the team sat at 3-5 and seemed to be declining. The team was inconsistent and despite a great defense being number three in points allowed, the offensive struggles with no number one receiver, bad play calling , and inconsistent quarterback play was unsalvageable. Yet, miraculously with the addition of Amari Cooper during the bye week, the Cowboys have won three straight and sit on top of the NFC East at 6-5. The play calling is working better, Dak Prescott is playing like his rookie year in 2016 all thanks to the season saving trade for number one wide receiver Amari Cooper.

The Cowboys gave an expensive first round pick for the former Oakland Raider and doubts if Cooper was worth such a steep price was all over the DFW. The trade has proven successful winning three out of the four games since he’s gotten here. Tallying a total of 22 receptions for 349 yards and three touchdowns in four games. But the stats don’t tell the whole story. Having a big name receiver like Cooper has opened things up for this offense, especially the running game. In games leading up to Coopers arrival Ezekiel Elliott ran for over 100 yards three times in seven games, since then Elliott has ran for over 100 yards three times straight in just four games. Amari Cooper demands attention from opposing defenses which is opening up running lanes for Zeke who no longer is seeing eight or nine players in the box trying to stop the run, defenses can’t do that anymore with Amari Cooper on the outside who demands double coverage. He has also made it easier on Dak who has thrown for over 200 yard each of the four games Amari has played and has averaged more yards per attempt that is no coincidence. Combined with the change of playcalling by offensive coordinator Scott Linehan this offense has been better getting into the endzone more consistently and taking pressure of this defense.

The Cowboys still has a ton of work to do with a tough schedule coming up containing the best team in the NFL the New Orleans Saints, but as it looks for now this team has reached a turning point in their season and playoffs just may be on the horizon.

Evan Starr, Staff Writer

9My name is Evan Starr, I am a senior and this is my third year as a staff writer on the Wigwam. I enjoy writing about all things sports the Cowboys, Rangers,...