How sports help students

Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license

Maggie Coleman, Staff Writer

Although most students who play a sport would say it’s all about how they perform on the field, I disagree. I believe that playing a sport can set you up for success off of the field, and instill certain characteristics that make life after high school more enjoyable. It doesn’t matter if you plan on going pro or not, playing a sport at a recreational level alone has benefits as well. No matter what level you play at-or fun or competition-sports can only help you in the long run.

Playing a sport not only keeps you physically in shape, but it also keeps you accountable for your grades. If you are failing a class, you are not allowed to play in any games until you raise your grade to passing.  This sense of responsibility can be extremely helpful when transitioning into the real world, as you are already more mature with your tasks. Another benefit of sports is being able to be in a collaborative work environment with a range of people, despite you liking them or not. Teamwork is a staple in almost all sports. In the future, you will be able to work with everyone and not cause trouble while still getting problems and assignments completed.

While not everyone enjoys playing sports, even participating at a young age can have substantial benefits towards your future. Setting the foundation at a young age means a child will have an easier time transitioning into young adult life. No matter what age, there are benefits.