Volleyball: KVB vs. Byron Nelson

Kate Lang, Staff Writer

Keller Volleyball took on their biggest competition, Byron Nelson, in a extremely intense game two weeks ago.

Keller took the first set from Byron Nelson with a score of 25-19. Byron Nelson won the second set with a score of 25-22, the third set with a score of 26-24, and won the match with a final score in the fourth set of 25-23.

Coach Bates’ Sports Marketing class had a project assigned for this game, which is why this match up was so important to the student body. Bates challenged his students with a goal of getting no less than 300 students to the game. The total outcome was 508 students.

This was the most populated volleyball game in Keller High School history. LSU commit, Paige Flickinger,who plays for Byron Nelson as an outside hitter, had a total of 15+ kills while Jayden Nembhard, outside for Keller, trailed her with 12.

Charity Luper, another Byron Nelson outside hitter, had the same amount of kills as her teammate, Flickinger. Luper is being recruited by multiple prestigious colleges and is going to play for Jason Nicholson for her second season at one of the most decorated volleyball clubs in the US, TAV.

Flickinger and Kate Lang (setter for KVB) signed this weekend to play for Ping Ciao, a retired Olympic volleyball player, at TAV for their fourth year of being on the same team. Nembhard signs soon to play for Excel Volleyball Club this year. Nembhard recently verbally committed to play at the collegiate volleyball level for Kansas State after she graduates from Keller High School.