March Madness 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

March Madness 2018

Evan Starr, Staff Writer

Every year, every college basketball and sports fan in general looks forward to the Madness of March with the NCAA college basketball tournament. The hype seems to grow more and more every year, the tournament never disappoints and always serves up great games, upsets, and historic moments. And this year was no different.

The madness started early in 2018 with some of the biggest, most historic first round upsets we have ever seen in history. Eleven seed Syracuse coming out of the play-in games beat Arizona State then went on to upset number six TCU. Number 13 Marshall played bracket busters by beating 4 seed Wichita State, Loyola-Chicago continued the upsets beating Miami, but the biggest upset of the tournament and possibly of all time happened on March 16 where The University of Maryland Baltimore County beat Virginia and became the first 16 seed to beat a 1 seed in the history of the tournament. The upsets didn’t stop there. Syracuse continued to bust brackets beating Michigan State in the round of 32, and Loyola-Chicago beat Tennessee to conclude the opening weekend.

Onto the Sweet 16 where the south region was crazy. For the first time ever the highest seed to make the Sweet 16 in a region was a 5 seed, Kentucky, who went on the lose to Kansas State. Loyola-Chicago still found a way to win to move onto the elite eight. The Elite Eight promised some of the best games of the tournament. Number 1 Kansas versus number 2 Duke and 11 Loyola-Chicago versus 9 Kansas State. Loyola-Chicago yet again edged out K-State to move onto the Final Four (yes, an 11 seed is in the Final Four), and Kansas outlasted Duke in an overtime thriller for the ages to advance. Michigan and Villanova also moved on to  make the 2018 Final Four, well, final. Kansas, Villanova, Michigan, and Loyola-Chicago are the 2018 National Semi-finalist.

This year of March college hoops was one to remember and it’s not even over quite yet. Loyola-Chicago could shock the world and make it to the Championship game and possibly win it. Villanova could win their second title in three years, and Kansas could win their first since 2008. The anticipation is real and all we can do is wait and see what happens in San Antonio March 31 and April 2.

Evan Starr, Staff Writer

9My name is Evan Starr, I am a senior and this is my third year as a staff writer on the Wigwam. I enjoy writing about all things sports the Cowboys, Rangers,...