Kick It

Soccer Season

Taylor West, Staff Writer

One of the most underrated sports teams here is the soccer team. With both boys and girls soccer doing amazing at their games, it is often one of the sports that doesn’t seem to be as hyped up as football or volleyball.

For those who may not know, boys soccer has three teams — varsity, JV, and freshman. With their season coming close to a wrap, each team has done outstandingly well. Varsity reigns undefeated, JV is 2-2 with one tie, and freshman are 4-0 with one tie as well. On varsity, junior Parker Odel is thought to have scored most of the team’s goals for their undefeated season. Sophomore Ethan Mash comes in with scoring the most goals for the JV team. Finally, freshman Johnny DeVoss is said to have scored the most goals for the freshman team.

Britten Turner and Kyle Byrum have openly spoken about their thoughts on the season and what it’s brought, and what’s more to come. Britten who plays as a right back on defense as a starter. Kyle holds the position of right mid as a starter on varsity.

“We kind of had a slow start,” Turner said, “but I think we did good with picking it back up. Things are looking good.”

Turner takes pride in his team and stands by both their wins and losses. Bryum said, “We’ve done very well this season,” when talking about his team’s undefeated victories so far.

When asked about any pre-game rituals, neither boy could think of a personal one to offer. While listening to music and just warming up seem to be common activities for almost all of the players, varsity to freshman, there was a particular ritual the teams as a whole share.

“There’s always a team dinner the day before each home game. But for game days I know JV goes to dinner before each game,” Turner says.

With their season coming down to its last few weeks in March, their final varsity game at home against Haltom is on March 23 at 7:30 p.m., so come out and support.

More information about boys soccer can be found on their Twitter @KHSBoysSoccer.

Taylor West, Assistant Editor
Hi! My name is Taylor West and this is my second year on The Wigwam as an assistant editor. I am a senior and while I have yet to figure out where I would like to continue my education, I do know that I would like to pursue a career in Pediatric Nursing. This year...