Cowboys 2019 Super Bowl Chances

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Emma Bauer, Staff Writer

Well, it wouldn’t be very practical to write about my favorite team, the Green Bay Packers, so I guess I’ll have to settle for writing about the Cowboys, since, after all, this is Texas.

The Cowboys went 8-7 in the 2017 season and really began to suffer when Ezekiel Elliott served a five-game suspension following an allegation of assault. Furthermore, the on-field chemistry between quarterback Dak Prescott and Dez Bryant seemed less than appealing, especially when noting that Dez dropped six passes this season.

Elliott had 983 rushing yards in 2017, which is lackluster in comparison to the 1,631 yards shown in 2016. He had 269 receiving yards, compared to the 363 yards he put up during the 2016 season, averaging 4.1 yards a carry, which is compared to 5.1 yards during the 2016 season. While he was really a hot commodity in only his second season, he was under heavy scrutiny this season, his performance obviously suffering in light of the legal battle he had to divert some of his focus to.

In my opinion, he should have served his six game (or whatever it was) suspension to begin with and gotten it over with and stayed quiet about it.

In an article by sportingnews.com, author Vinny Iyer said, “The Cowboys went 3-3 without Elliott, and went 5-4 with him.”

Evidently, he is doing something right. Aside from hitting women. Don’t hit women. So really, what happened to the Cowboys in 2017?

To put it plainly, “Prescott’s regression was tied to his not getting close to the kind of help from the guys protecting and catching the ball for him.”

Prescott also apparently thought it was a good idea to target Dez more than last season, but as stated earlier, that didn’t quite work out like one might hope. The situation with the rest of the offensive line was not something to smile about either.

“A team that was used to having five studs up front was down to two, center Travis Frederick and right guard Zack Martin.”

The defense suffered, too, injuries being a large part of the blame. When Dallas strung their best d-line on the field, while some of the time they were able to garner results, the cohesive aspect that needed to be there failed when they were incapable to stop the run, or in other cases, the pass, which led to several blowouts.

With that in mind, only time will tell if, in 2018, the Cowboys will rise to the occasion and earn the Lombardi (named after, cough cough, legendary Green Bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi) Trophy for a sixth Super Bowl win. It remains to be seen if the acclaimed triple threat of Prescott, Elliott, and Bryant, will live up to their name.

Emma Bauer, Staff Writer

My name is Emma Bauer. I’m a senior at Keller High School, and this is (sadly) my third and final year on The Wigwam staff as a staff writer. My favorite...