MLB Slow Offseason

Back to Article
Back to Article

MLB Slow Offseason

Evan Starr, Staff Writer

With spring training finally starting up again, can we finally start to expect some action from what has been a boring off-season for Major League Baseball?

With so much potential to be a crazy one, this off-season has let many of us down. Looking back, the two biggest moves were the two-way phenom Shohei Otani going to the Angels and Giancarlo Stanton getting dealt to the Yankees, to form what promises to be a powerful duo with him and Aaron Judge.

Other than those, not much went down. Yes, Andrew McCutchen went to the Giants and recently Eric Hosmer is now a Padre and JD Martinez is a Red Sox, but they took so long to sign with a team the excitement of where they will end up kind of died out.

The reason: they were asking for money that they simply were not going to get. They were all holding out to be one of the highest paid players in baseball and team owners didn’t want to spend that kind of money. And with the number of teams willing to sign a long-term five, six, seven year deal declining big, groundbreaking free-agent signings are limited, and that is bad for business.

If this keeps up, the MLB won’t be able to keep up with the NBA or NFL where big trades and signings happen more often (especially in the NBA).

Look at the last off-season and the recent trade deadline for the NBA. Kyrie Irving got traded to the Celtics in the off-season, Blake Griffin got dealt to the Pistons and the Cavaliers traded away almost half their team all at the trade deadline. Those kinds of blockbuster trades and signings simply aren’t happening in baseball.

People rumor Bryce Harper going somewhere, but he stayed with the Nationals. It was said the Yu Darvish might not go to the Cubs (which was pretty much certain going into the off-season) but he might go back to Texas, stay with Dodgers, and so on. But, yeah, he is now on the Cubs.

The unexpected is not happening when it comes to signings in the MLB, and if it continues that could be bad news.

Evan Starr, Staff Writer

9My name is Evan Starr, I am a senior and this is my third year as a staff writer on the Wigwam. I enjoy writing about all things sports the Cowboys, Rangers,...