Training to Run, Not Running to Train

Gwen Morovitz

Students Ryan Burns (right) and Jackson Bruce (left) at the Cross Country Meet at ISMS on September 23.

Gwen Morovitz, Staff Writer

This week I interviewed Ryan Burns, a sophomore who’s on the JV Cross Country team here at Keller High School. On October 5, the team went to the District Warm-Up meet in Haltom City.

Wigwam: How was the meet today?

Burns: “It went well. The top seven boys and top seven girls didn’t run this time; they’re chilling out before district which is next week. The course was hilly and by the time I ran it was pretty warm [outside].”

With district competition coming up he said that the coaches are trying not to wear out the top boys and girls.

Burns: “The course we ran today is the same one we’ll be running for the district meet.”

Wigwam: What’s the team’s goal for this year?

Burns: “Well, the girls are going to try to defend their national ranking and the boys are trying to get to Nationals.”

Wigwam: What are some goals you personally want to achieve?

Burns: “Some personal goals for me [are] just to beat my previous time each race and continuously better myself throughout the season.”

A few weekends ago I had the opportunity to go take pictures at the Cross Country meet at Indian Springs Middle School for yearbook, and it was fun to watch our team do so well. I highly suggest supporting our Keller Cross Country team in any way that you can! It’s a great sport with dedicated athletes doing the best they can to support our school.