KGS Takes State!

Jacob Mitchell, Staff Writer

Keller High School’s year of athletic success has continued with the girls soccer team advancing to the state tournament.

After a perfect regular season, ending with a record of 12-0, the team entered the playoffs at first in their district. This allowed them to go into the first rounds as the favored winners.

The first game of playoffs was played at Pennington Field in Hurst against Arlington Lamar. Keller was able to eliminate the Lamar team, led by senior Rebecca Keane, who scored all three of Keller’s goals.

The amazing performance by the team in the first round propelled them through the next few rounds. Keller was able to advance past Midland with a score of 5-0, Mansfield with a score of 2-1, and Marcus with a score of 2-0. In the game against Mansfield, Audrey Kate Ward scored a goal in the final seconds of the game, highlighting Keller’s will and determination to win.

Now that Keller had made it through the first four rounds, only one game stood between them and the state tournament. The opposing team for this game was none other than local rival, Southlake Carroll. With everything on the line, KGS won the game with a score of 2-0 and punched their ticket to state!

In the state semi-finals Keller unfortunately fell to Hendrickson after a hard fought game that was forced into overtime and ended in a score of 1-0.

Although Keller didn’t win the state title, being a semi-finalist in the state tournament is something to be very proud of. If you see a member of the team around school, be sure to congratulate them on their great season and their amazing playoff run!