Hoop It Up

Boys Basketball Takes State

Preston Hannah and Brian Shin.

Jacob Mitchell, Staff Writer

Making it all the way to the state tournament in Texas is an accomplishment that every student athlete wants to achieve, and this year our boys basketball team did just that!

After a great regular season, ending with a record of 23-2, the basketball team entered the playoffs ranked at the top of our district. With a great record like that, the boys were able to start off with a relatively easy schedule in the playoffs.

The first game of the playoffs was played against Mansfield in Richland, Texas. Mansfield played a good game, but they were no match for the Indians and we won 60-44. Keller continued on and played Permian in Abilene, Texas, rolling past them in a 63-43 victory.

The next game would not be as easy as the first two. The opponent, North Crowley, had more than a few division 1 prospects and the team as a whole had much more size than we had. The team overcame these facts and convincingly won 66-51, which gave them a ticket to the regional tournament.

At the regional tournament, the team faced Allen first and was able to come up with the 69-61 victory. Now only one game stood between them and the highly sought after state tournament, and it was going to be a tough one.

The regional championship game was against Arlington Bowie who had been on a good run during the playoffs. The game was neck and neck up until the last minute when Carson Hughes made a clutch steal and fast break layup to seal the game. Keller beat Bowie 57-55 to advance to the state tournament.

The first game of the state tournament was played in the Alamodome in San Antonio. Keller played San Antonio Wagner for a spot in the state championship but fell short of moving on in a 56-44 loss.

Although Keller did not win the whole thing, making it as far as they did is something to be very proud of. Players like RJ Nembhard, Carson Hughes, Jared Bowman, and many more played very well and worked very hard to accomplish what they did.