Racing To The Finish Line

Jacob Mitchell, Staff Writer

On Saturday November 12, 2016 the UIL state championships were held for the top cross country teams in the country. The Keller High School Girls Cross Country  Team traveled to Round Rock, Texas to compete for the title. After a tough fought race, the girls from Keller came out on top.

The Keller Girls Cross Country team are the new State Champions!

The girls have worked hard all year with the goal of State Champs in their minds. Early mornings, long runs, and cold ice baths all payed off in the end. The results of the race had Keller in first place, beating Southlake Carroll who came second, and The Woodlands who finished third.

Not only did the girls win the state title, but four Keller girls were named to the first team All State team! Abbey Santoro, Julia Black, Isabel Van Camp, and Vera Thompson all ran very well at state earning them a spot in the elite group.

And it just keeps getting better for this team. Coach Brian Zaring was named the 6-A Girls Coach of the Year by the Cross Country Coaches Association of Texas. The association obviously noticed the good work ethic and strategy that Coach Zaring teaches.

It has been a great season for the Girls Cross country team. If you pass the girls or Coach Zaring in the hall, be sure to give them a big congratulations on their accomplishments. Keller High School is very proud of you!