Keller High School Swim and Dive Team 9/11 Stair Climb

Armando Tellez, Sports Staff

On September 9, the Keller Swim and Dive Team climbed a total of 110 stories at the Keller ISD Stadium. This was done in honor of all the brave men and women that gave up their lives on 9/11 to save those trapped in the twin towers. The varsity team was the first to perform at 6:00 a.m., followed by junior varsity at 7:00 a.m.

It all started when the Keller Swim coach, Linda Shults, gathered the team and explained the reason behind the swim team’s tradition; the main reason being remembrance. The secondary reason was to provide the athletes perspective on what firefighters had to go through when they climbed 110 stories in the hopes of saving lives. Shults also reminded the team that even though the exercise mirrored the act that was performed, the conditions were not the same. She justified her reasoning by explaining that while the team will climb up the same amount of stairs, the team would not be in mortal danger of a building collapsing on them as they climbed.

Finally, after discussing what happened in 9/11, the team was ready. Throughout the exercise, you would see the athletes coming and going; going through one door to climb and exiting through another after descending. After going up a number of stairs, some of the athletes stopped and got to the side to recover, taking advantage of the water-bottles provided. There were others who went the full length without stopping and a few who put the firefighter hat, clothing, and air canister brought by a firefighter in the hopes of giving the athletes a more in depth perspective.

All in all, most of the swimmers and divers were able to climb the 110 floors. And at the end, finish or not, everyone was tired. The Swim and Dive team went on with their day with a new level of understanding and gratitude for those who gave their lives on 9/11.