Hike! It’s Football Season

Jacob Mitchell, Staff Writer

High School football is a pretty big deal in the state of Texas, and at Keller High School, it’s no different. The KHS football team has been working hard to become a real contender in its district this year, and it’s time for them to show up and perform for the top spot.

The football team got off to a slow start in the first four non-district games, walking away without any wins. But in the homecoming game, against a talented Midland team, Keller fought hard and just barely lost 24-21. With 541 all purpose offensive yards and two turnovers on defense, Keller’s team started to look pretty good.

Starting quarterback Dillon Smith, who threw for 230 yards and and a touchdown against Midland, has a positive outlook on the upcoming district schedule.

“We have been looking a lot better as the season has progressed. We’ve been practicing harder and the losses have motivated us to be better. I’m looking forward to the next few games and I’m confident in the team’s ability to win,” Smith said.

Smith can’t win alone though. Teammates like Cameron Jones have had a major impact on offense with 264 all purpose yards and teammates like Matthew Soihl on defense who had 8 solo tackles and 10 assisted tackles against Midland.

“I couldn’t do anything without my great teammates playing as hard as they can right next to me. We are able to succeed when the team works together and that’s one thing we are good at,” Smith said.

The upcoming district schedule isn’t going to be easy, but with one goal in mind, the Keller football team is going to fight for every win.

“Our main goal is to make it to playoffs and if we play to the best of our abilities, I believe we can make that happen,” Smith said.