Indians De-talon the Falcons

Eric Norrell, Sports Editor

A Friday night full of football, cheering, and Seniors took place at the Keller ISD athletic complex on November 1st, 2013.  The 4-4 Keller Indians took on an ailing 2-6 Timber Creek Falcons, both coming off disappointing losses to district rivals Southlake and Northwest, respectively.  The Indians entered the game sitting in a three-way tie for sixth place in the district with Timber Creek and Haltom with a 1-4 district record.  Before the game between the Indians and Falcons, both teams had a possibility of making playoffs if they won the remaining games on their schedules and if Northwest or Keller Central lost the rest of their games.  However, both Northwest and Keller Central won their games, mathematically eliminating the Indians and Timber Creek Falcons from playoff contention without Keller and Timber Creek even needing to take a snap. The top four teams in the district makes playoffs, and if Keller could beat Timber Creek on November 1st and Richland on November 8th to finish the season, then Keller could lock up fifth place in district, the same finish they had last season.  If Keller can beat both Timber Creek and Richland, then they will finish with and overall season record of 6-4, a major improvement from the 3-7 season the Indians had last season.

This past week against the Timber Creek Falcons, the Indians won handedly 31-13, mainly through their relentless ground attack, totaling 207 yards on 38 carries.  Senior Dalton Mills led the Indian rushing onslaught with 165 yards on 21 carries, averaging 7.86 yards per carry.  Senior Brandon Poyser also contributed to the rushing game with 42 yards on 12 carries, averaging 3.5 yards per carry. Another big contributing factor to the Indian victory was the passing game led by Senior quarterback  Hunter McEachern, who had 151 passing yards on 11 completions.  McEachern was 11 for 19 passing in the game, with a completion percentage of 58%.  McEachern average 13.73 yards per attempt and also added 2 passing touchdowns with no interceptions.  McEachern’s main target for the night was Sophomore receiver Cameron Johnson, who had 5 receptions for 111 yards, averaging an astonishing 22.2 yards per catch and hauled in 2 touchdown passes.  On defense, Senior Sione Teuhema led the quarterback attack with 2.0 sacks and 5 solo tackles, totaling 7.0 total tackles. The tackles leader for the Indians was Junior Phil Young with 8 total tackles. The Indians were clicking on offense and defense, resulting in a 31-13 shutdown of the Falcons, raising their district record to 2-4 and their overall record to 5-4.

Even though the Indians are not contending for a playoff spot any longer, this definitely does not reflect the positivity this team has shown this season.  This season reflects the true potential that has been waiting to shine through the Keller football program since the 2009-2010 football season.  With a consistent rush game on offense and a strong front defending the deep ball this week against Richland, the Indians can finish the season with two strong victories and conclude a successful year.  Playoffs do not determine the success of this team; their record speaks for itself.  With a successful downing of the Rebels, the Indians will raise their record to 6-4, the first winning season since the playoff team from 2009-2010. That team’s record? 6-4.