Go Red!

Photo from Needpix.com

Logan Wilkov, Staff Writer

Keller ISD participated in the American Heart Association’s District Heart Challenge on Friday, Feb. 7.  Students within the district were inspired to wear red to take part in the National Go Red Day.

The first Friday of each February is intended to raise national awareness for Americans’ heart health. In addition, the hope is to motivate students and administrators to stay active, make healthy dietary choices and go out to get their blood pressure checked. 

For the last 15 years, the number one cause for death not only nationwide, but worldwide, is heart disease. Across the globe, roughly 15.2 million deaths were accounted for due to heart disease in 2016 according to The World Health Organization. Many things can increase the risk of heart disease to develop but not all of these risk factors are uncontrollable. High blood pressure is a main component of heart disease. Ensure you receive a check up at least once a year to maintain a normal level of blood pressure to avoid further complications. 

Exercise! Improving circulation and strengthening your heart can help contribute to lowering your blood pressure and cholesterol and reduce your chances of obtaining heart diseases or type 2 diabetes. 

Sleep should always be a priority for all ages. A lack of sleep can put your personal health at risk and cause harm. People who have irregular and compact sleep schedules have a higher risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, heart attack, and depression. These dangers can be very strenuous on the heart and lead to severe conditions. Sticking to a consistent sleeping schedule with 8 to 10 hours of sleep, and waking up and going to bed at the same time can increase your mental and physical health.

If you are able to donate to the American Heart Association, text KELLERISDGIVES to 41444. You may also donate $20 on Wearredday.org to receive the 2020 “Go Red” T-shirt. Lastly, use #GoRedKISD on Twitter to show your love and support.