Alex Viola Memorial Car Show

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alex Viola Memorial Car Show

Gwen Morovitz, Editor in Chief

Veterans Day is often an overlooked holiday by teens and kids in America. A midway point between Halloween and Thanksgiving, this day is possibly one of the most important holidays of the year, the day to honor those who served so bravely to defend our country. 

The annual Alex Viola Car Show is held at Keller Town Hall and the Natatorium parking lot next door.

Keller Alum Alex Viola graduated in 2002 after spending his high school years as the ice hockey team captain. He entered the Special Forces after graduating with honors from the University of North Texas in 2006 with an engineering degree. After getting injured during training in the Navy, he moved focus to become a Green Beret in the Army. 

In November of 2013, Viola was killed in Afghanistan when his unit was attacked by an IED. His family and friends were devastated by his loss, and were determined to spend their time healing by giving back to foundations such as the Green Beret Foundation and the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. Both foundations give support to families suffering from the loss of a fallen special operations soldier, and during the presentation by his family at the beginning of the car show, presented the initiative where the foundation helps pay for the colleges of children of fallen soldiers.

This is the fifth year that the Alex Viola Memorial Car Show has been held and this year brought the biggest turn ever. With hundreds of cars entered into the show, and both a live and silent auction, along with merchandise sales and food trucks, the family was able to raise incredible donations to both of the foundations in memory of their lost son. 

Keller DECA took it upon themselves to broadcast and support this event, hanging up posters and spreading the word of the event as early as September.

DECA sponsor Lora Folger, along with DECA members such as Ryan Burns and Gracie Quinn attended the long awaited event and got the opportunity to meet the Green Berets and take a picture with them. 

Information on Alex Viola:

https://americanfallensoldiers.com/army-ssg-alex-viola/