Kat’s Cradle: The State Experience

I Went to State for Theatre

Kat's Cradle: The State Experience

Kate Carlin, A/V Editor

There are some things that a high schooler involved in sports, or any extracurriculars for that matter, yearn to have. Talent, growth in their passion, skill, and the opportunity to compete at the state level. Or, at least that is what I wanted at the beginning of my high school career.

Hey, hey, Kool Cats, it’s your girl Katimeer with another anecdote today about my experience at a UIL state competition. If you did not know already, I am into theatre. No, not the whole acting gig, but working behind the scenes with lights, sound carpentry, and costuming and makeup (anything in the theatrical arts fascinates me, honestly).

For the past three years, I have been working long hours, getting some gnarly battle wounds (paint splatters, my hand being drilled into, all of that jazz), not getting any sleep at all (@ tech week), to selling my soul to something that forfeits chances of any great money in the future, or becoming the President of the United States.

However, theatre is a lot greater than having a six figure job or fame and glory (I mean, if you’re going to be on Broadway, that is one thing), but you learn from every single experience and show that you are a part of, no matter what roles you have, large or small, or what show it is. You watch shows and take something away from it; you work on shows and carry a piece of you with it and there really is nothing else like it.

Now, take that description, and put it on steroids.

That was my experience as a photographer at the UIL One Act Play state meet this year.

In total, I watched 28 shows, sat in on 14 dress rehearsals, met hundreds of people, took thousands of photos, made some pretty cool friends from around the great state of Texas, and of course, did not sleep for the course of four days. I mean, I may have dozed off a little bit, or quite a bit during some shows (oops), but that is beside the fact. I watched so many actors, actresses, technicians, and directors go up there and sacrifice all they have to that stage, giving it their all, fighting hard, knowing that this is the last of the five rounds of the One Act tournament. One Act Play Companies traveled by plane or by car, and one kid even had to Uber an hour to get there, all for the love that I share with them, theatrical arts.

The shows there were nothing short of phenomenal, the acting was brilliant, everything just glistened like a dream sequence for those four days. When you are surrounded by the people that are just a copy of you, when you are allowed to miss school to watch theatre all day, when you feel like you are a part of someone else’s story because you realize right then and there that we only have one life on this earth and it will bring glory to the people who take the bull by the horns.

The state experience for every UIL event from academics, to sports, to theatre is an incredible opportunity for a student, and even if you do not participate or if you did not advance to the state round, I suggest you go. You will grow so much from it all.