Kat’s Cradle: College

#Collegebound?

Kate Carlin, A/V Editor

Hello, my good little kittens! This is Katimeer, better known as the writer of this ongoing column about mainly poorly given relationship advice. Well, I got bored with relationships this week, and wanted to go to a relationship I believe we will all have in our lives, or one of nine of them (get it? Meow meow.)

COLLEGE! That is right. College, whether you are going to a two-year community college (no shame in it!) or a four-year out-of-state university, or maybe you want to go to a trade school, we all probably will go to a higher degree of education after high school in our lives. Even if you do not go right away to college, do not worry; you can always go to night classes, associate degree programs, as well as conservatories to hone your craft without going straight to a bachelor’s degree.

Well, my Kats, college has been taking over my mind every single day since the PSAT was administered here at Keller High. I knew I was not going to get a great score. I never studied, and therefore, my score is incredibly embarrassing to me. Just this past November, it clicked to me that I am going to be an adult very soon, that I am going to go to college or one of the other options mentioned above. I am not ready.

However…some people (like my parents) may ask, “Katimeer?! Why are you not ready? Everyone is ready for college once they finish all of their credits for high school and you will be fine. You will go to college and go into the workforce and your life will be normal!” Yes, mom and dad, I know. However, I do not want to live a normal life. I have dreams and aspirations to be something bigger than what I have come from, but when all of the odds are stacked up against you, is it really worth trying?

When I was little I wanted to be a princess, but then I realized Prince Charming would never climb up into my bedroom and save me. Then I wanted to be a doctor; however, I realized soon after that I could not deal with sick people (I still can’t). After that, I wanted to be an Olympic slalom kayaker, but you know, a very small percentage of people ever became world-renowned kayakers. Then, I wanted to be an actor. This one is self explanatory; I found out here I can’t act.

So, now I am here, and what do I want to be now? After seventeen years of looking and finding and being crushed in my dreams? I want to be in film; I want to be playing with cameras and directing movies and having my name in shining lights and to be known to touch people all around the world without them seeing eye to eye to me. I want to make things and show people the world that they are blind to, the stuff that is going on in their own backyard.

However, going to film school is not exactly cheap or free or easy. I want to go to the University of Southern California and be a Trojan at the number one film school in the world. Three percent of applicants get into the University of Southern California. But even with this being known, and knowing that I have had many dreams lost before, knowing that I have had a life that I want to put onto the screen, the fire is fueled. Whatever people say, whatever my peers say, whatever my parents say, it will never stop me from trying. Nobody can stop me now.

Whatever your dream is, do it. Stop thinking about it and just go out there and do it. If you work at something for your whole life, the money and the fame and the good karma will follow.

Whenever you are college bound, take a look at what you really want to do in your life and go out there and try as hard as you can to do it. You will miss what you truly love. Do not give up your love for an education that you will hate, then followed by a job and a life that you will hate.

Live the way you want to.