Kat’s Cradle: Welcome, Kittens!

A Letter to the Kittens.

Kat's Cradle: Welcome, Kittens!

Kate Carlin, AV Editor/Staff Writer

Ah. High school, a magical time for all of us… okay, maybe not.

Hi! I’m Katimeer (better known as Kate) and welcome to “Kat’s Cradle”. This is the introductory column for a (hopefully) long life of my own newspaper following. Well, enough about me; let’s talk about the first topic: the kittens (yay!).

Hello, my kittens! I personally hope you have had a tolerable first month of high school, and if you haven’t, well, okay, that’s why I’m writing this. I know all too much that high school is a terrifying place, and it can seem like such a large portion of your life. Also, let’s face it; we are all going through an awkward time in our lives. Just take a deep breath and read what I will tell you; I promise it will change your outlook on what seems like a four-year-long agreement of signing your life away.

First things first (I’m the realest), high school is NOT useless. Yes, I know it’s hard to believe. I know you may never talk to anyone from high school again. I know you may not remember a single thing you learned in the classroom here, but what I also know is that the opportunities here are incredible. The opportunity to figure who you are, where you fit, what you’re made of, and how you want to go about your life when you get out of here. Please don’t shake off high school like it has no effect on your life. It gives you the chance to do everything you have ever wanted to do, and everyone will forget in a year once you’re gone, anyway.

You can test out just about anything you possibly would want to do in your life, especially within Keller High School; we have a myriad of clubs and organizations such as choir, Quidditch, Chemistry Club, HOSA, and Student Council, just to name a few. There are plenty of clubs to choose from, and I suggest that you join at least ONE extracurricular activity in your high school life; it may just open the door to new friends and a newfound passion.

Another thing, freshman year may not be the best year for anything, but this is also a great time for getting yourself into some new study habits and simply getting yourself organized. I can tell you from personal experience that getting organized is such an important thing when it comes to your GPA and rank. You will thank me later! Anyways, first is the mundane: keep all of your papers organized in neat little folders and spiral notebooks for every subject to be sure you don’t lose any of those project rubrics. Also, keep a planner; I’m not asking you to keep a passion planner or anything, but invest some five or ten minutes of your day and get into bullet journaling. Doing even the simplest planning will save you from a lot of sleepless nights and the nightmares of failing.

Then, last but certainly not least, the most important thing on this list,

Grow.

Grow as a human being, as a student, as an artist, as just about anything. Strive to make yourself who you are and who you want to be and just don’t care what people think of you. I will tell you right now that I cared A LOT freshman year about what others thought about me. Then I realized, hey, it’s just four years. So I started to become this somewhat of a goofball, a magician, a learner, a forever student. I started to grow as a person and a friend, and my ideas grew. My goals grew, and I have grown to be so much more than I ever would’ve thought I would be in high school.

Believe in yourself and go for it. Go and be yourself; the world is waiting to see what you’re made of.

Well, that’s about it for this installment of “Kat’s Cradle”, and I hope all of you little baby kittens enjoy this talk, and if you’re an upperclassmen, suggest this column to a kitten or two. They will appreciate it. Until next time, don’t cough up too many hairballs.