Editor-in-Chief Gwen Morovitz

Editor-in-Chief Gwen Morovitz

Gwen Morovitz, Editor-in-Chief

My four years spent at Keller High School were ones I was happy to live, and even happier to never relive. Freshman year to senior year I learned countless lessons about friendship, love, and finding yourself when the whole world feels like it’s crashing down.

Freshman year is when you truly set the stage for what friends you’ll surround yourself with and who you’ll let yourself become in order to fit in with the people around you. I remember being so overwhelmed by the changes that happened in the transition between middle school and high school, and thinking the same best friends I had in eighth grade would forever stay with me, senior year and beyond. But my naive approach to the crazy, drama filled world of high school resulted in a rude awakening by sophomore year.

My advice for freshmen is short and sweet, (kind of like the year itself), enjoy it. Enjoy the carefree feeling of not having a job, or the stress of difficult classes that might affect your college career. And enjoy the innocence and simple times with your friends.

Sophomore year I joined the yearbook staff and The Wigwam staff in my hopes to be a journalist in my college career and beyond. This year I really focused on school work and keeping my grades high because of the difficult classes I put myself through. My advice is simple: if you don’t want to be a chemist one day, don’t take higher level chemistry…or math, honestly. I knew by the time I was in seventh grade that I wanted to be a journalist. Why did I put myself through extra stress with all those pre-AP math and science courses? I really couldn’t tell you. But with the stress of it all came incredible classes like AP World History, which was by far my favorite class I took in high school. This, along with great memories with my friends and finally getting my license, wrapped up my second year at KHS.

They aren’t kidding when they say junior year can be a disaster. My unnecessary need to overwhelm myself with high level science classes was a big component in my stress that year, but it wasn’t school that overwhelmed me completely, it was the social life and changing dynamic everyone faces junior year. You lose some friends and gain new ones in the whirlwind that is 11th grade, and for me personally I rode the crazy rollercoaster of emotions up until March that year, when I found my friends again through the madness. If I learned anything that year educationally it wasn’t much. I was so caught up in craziness and drama that I couldn’t control, but the end of the storm brought possibly the best memories of my life, and the summer before senior year will always be my favorite memories I will forever look back on.

Senior year started out with the typical traditions every high schooler dreams of: painting the parking spot, wearing the senior Burger King crowns to our class assembly, going to the (last) first pep rally and football game, and so on. I was elated to be Editor-in-Chief of both our school’s yearbook and newspaper for my senior year, as it had been my dream since I started both organizations back in sophomore year. I had my best friends with me throughout the year, no crazy exes to deal with, and finally, it seemed, I had a year of peace. One I could choose to remember instead of struggle to forget. I toured my dream school in Columbia, Missouri, only two hours away from my hometown of St. Louis where my family and old friends still live, and brought my best friend with me to share it with. It was the perfect senior year…up until the end.

By March I was excited for spring break. Last year, spring break was the beginning of the fun that came after the crazy drama and loneliness I had felt all year. This year, as everyone knows, was much different. There is nothing I would give to relive that Friday before spring break with a little more perspective. I left school early that day because I wasn’t doing anything in my classes and wanted to get started on work so I could enjoy my spring break, as I had told my mom. But if I would’ve known that Friday, March 6, would’ve been my last day of high school EVER, I would’ve soaked it all in as I walked down the hallways and laughed with my friends, or smiled at my favorite teachers, had lunch in the loud cafeteria, and walked to my senior spot for the last time. Ignorance is truly bliss though, because the stress of making those last few moments perfect would’ve been difficult for me to get closure. After four years of never truly getting closure whether it be from friendships, relationships, or silly drama that kept me up at night, how fitting was it that I was cheated closure from the school that watched me go through it all.

My advice for seniors, and all grades kindergarten and beyond, is don’t blink. It all goes by so fast, and you never see the end coming. That is, the end of a friendship, a relationship, a favorite class, a good book, or your time at Keller High. Cherish every moment, even the bad ones, because you’ll never get them back. I’m grateful for the wonderful education I received at KHS, but couldn’t be happier to leave and begin a new chapter of my life at Mizzou on my way to be a journalist. 

Thanks for taking the journey with me, anyone who’s read my articles and my fellow writers for The Wigwam, and as Koen Samuel would want me to say, Gwenster out.