Paper Crisis

Paper Crisis

Creative Commons

Gwen Morovitz, Editor in Chief

Just last week Keller High School underwent a major disaster that many students were completely oblivious to. While we went to classes as usual and completed the same homework assignments and took the scheduled notes, many of us were blissfully unaware of the state of crisis the teaching staff was in…The school was out of printer paper.

This seems to be a trivial matter, one that normally students wouldn’t think of when the word “crisis” comes to mind. However, for many teachers, this can be the ultimate nightmare.

Students don’t recognize the amount of paper our school goes through in a day, or even a week. The multitudes of worksheets, notes, quizzes, and tests all given on precious printer paper isn’t thought of as a luxury, that is, until that privilege is taken away.

You might be thinking, “Seriously? It’s just paper; go to Staples and buy a ream to get you by until the supply is restocked.” I asked the same question.

But the district has contracts with certain paper providers and cannot legally go buy other company’s products in a time such as this. They’re required to purchase and use only one type of paper, and when the order doesn’t get put in right, or the demand outweighs the supply for the week, then too bad so sad for the teachers at Keller High School. 

The amount of school supplies they already supply on their own dime is already outrageous. But what is a math teacher supposed to do without printed out worksheets for their student to practice problems on? What will the social studies teacher do without their notes packet for the day? Or the science teacher’s lab? The English teachers’ poem or short story to annotate? Paper is not just a commodity, but a necessity to ensure an active learning environment. 

The state of the teacher workroom was described as chaotic and stressful as teachers were forced to tweak lesson plans and adjust classwork for the few days they had without this necessity. 

Everyone will be glad to hear that this crisis has been averted, and paper has been resupplied to every teacher who needs it. As lesson plans return to normal and teachers’ stresses level out, the paper catastrophe of 2020 has ended almost as quickly as it began in the first place.