Mega lunch or Mega problem?

Mega lunch or Mega problem?

Creative Commons

Logan Wilkov, Staff Writer

Keller High School’s population roughly hits 3,200. As we all know, the schedule for each student’s lunch varies and is different depending on the block day. Depending on what teacher you have during your third period of the day, you may have A, B, C, or D lunch. All lunches assigned to students add up to 30 minutes one time a day. Imagine combining all four lunches into one and extending the lunch period to an hour? 

Studies conducted from Real Simple state that the extension is a healthy solution for the lack of student’s food intake. With more time on a student’s hands to socialize, it eliminates the time crunch for students to purchase and receive their lunches to finally sit down and eat, with socializing in the mix. 

“Mega lunch would be beneficial for seniors because it allows them to manage their time more efficiently by having more time and the opportunity to get a part time job,” junior Isabelle Dinh said.

This hour period supplies students with the time to complete or participate in extracurricular activities or anything else that may be necessary for students. Time will open up and give students the chance to relax and possibly refresh; this may encourage students to be more productive and successful in their classes. Tutorials and additional help may be provided for all grades during lunch. Some may view this potential change in the schedule as a positive or negative. This idea of merging all lunches into one, mega lunch  has spread among the students, but where exactly do they stand with “mega lunch?” 

Junior Cecilia Nguyen said, “I really feel as though mega lunch would be helpful for students and teachers through testing, tutorials, and grades.” 

Freshman Madeline Duckworth said, “The excessive amount of kids will force teachers to open up their classroom for an extended amount of time during lunch for students.” While some students agree that mega lunch is beneficial and a step in the right direction, it may have detrimental effects on teachers and staff by forcing them to cater to the needs of the students.