Student Council Toy Drive

creative commons

Gwen Morovitz, Editor in Chief

Student Council started off the holiday season with a toy drive benefiting the children and teens who are patients at the Dallas Children’s Health Hospital. 

With an angel tree in the school’s foyer complete with a range of gifts from diapers to electronics, students could choose to donate however way they could. The donation boxes are available until December 18. 

Student Council partnered with senior Austin Barton went to some of the local businesses and KCAL partnerships to ask for donations for this cause. Raising money for the parents of the patients was an easy task, but toy donations were a little more complicated.

With so many toy donation organizations, students had to start planning this process as early as October. 

The companies also put up boxes for toy donations similar to the ones at school, and ended up being more successful than our school’s collection boxes. 

On December 16 all profits from desserts purchased at Chick-fil-a are also donated to the collection of monetary funds that will be directly given to the patients’ families rather than the Children’s Miracle Network itself.

Barton, who came up with the idea to have this toy drive, was determined to be sure that all donations were going directly to the kids and their families, and pushed for more toy donations than monetary ones.

“The kids look forward to gifts Christmas morning,” Barton said. “Parents will appreciate the money, but the kids want gifts, like any kid wants on Christmas morning.”

With careful planning and dedicated follow-through, Student Council will be able to collect enough money and toys for the children and teens to have Christmas presents, and for the parents of these patients to have some extra money for their children’s treatments at the hospital. With less than a week until Christmas, the students involved in collecting the donations were elated to have helped those in need.