• Listen to NDN Radio at kndn.playtheradio.com

How Pain Meds Work

Amber Wahab, Staff Writer

I don’t know about you but if you’re anything like me you need to know the answer to every question you can possibly think of. So the question I ask of you today is, how does pain medication really work? Well it all starts with your body coming in contact with something that would cause you pain. The nerve endings throughout your body constantly send messages to your brain so when you experience pain your body releases a chemical called prostaglandin. When the nerve endings that sense pain come in contact with this chemical they send a message to your brain thus you feeling the sensation of pain. Now depending on which pain medication you take, in this case let’s say you take ibuprofen. The ibuprofen prevents the damaged cells in your body  from releasing prostaglandin. This means that the brain won’t be able to get the pain message from your nerve endings as fast or as detailed. Causing your pain to either, go away or becomes less severe for as long as the effects of ibuprofen don’t wear off. More potent pain relievers simply get between your nerve endings so that they cannot transmit messages to each other so you brain would never get the pain message. With all this in mind you have to remember that although pain might suck it’s actually very beneficial to us because it’s like you body warning you. For example, when you step on a lego it hurts like crazy but, because you felt that pain you’ll most likely move the legos or walk elsewhere avoiding the legos. If your body didn’t feel pain you would continue to walk on legos and possibly damage your feet. For further information on how painkillers work visit http://whoami.sciencemuseum.org.uk/whoami/findoutmore/yourbrain/howdodrugsaffectyourbrain/howdopainkillerswork.