The Keller Band Bites the Big Apple

Abby Tow, Managing Editor

The Keller Marching Band spent this year’s Thanksgiving holiday in New York City participating in the 2018 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

On one of the coldest parade days on record, the band lined up among a star studded cast of performers, including other high school marching bands from across the country and musicians such as Ashley Tisdale and the Barenaked Ladies.

Before that incredible Thursday, the band spent the week exploring the city and partaking in some holiday NYC traditions. Such activities included seeing Phantom of the Opera on Broadway, one of the longest running shows of all time, and the celebrated Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall. The band also took some time to attend the 9/11 memorial and museum. In addition to their performance in the parade, the band had a concert in Central Park for families and friends of the program, an iconic New York location.

Performing in this parade is not only an honor for the band and the students, but also for the state of Texas. Keller represented Texas on an international stage, viewed by millions upon millions of people.

The experience was one few students will ever get to have, and the students are grateful for the support of their school and community in their journey to New York City. From other schools in the districts, Keller met the friendly faces of students with signs and encouraging messages before they left. Even the principal of KHS, superintendent, and their families braved the freezing temperatures to support their students and all of their hard work.