New KISD Safety Policy

Creative Commons

Gwen Morovitz, Assistant Editor

Issued as the Keller Independent School District’s first “Safety and Security Newsletter” Keller students were surprised to learn the new policies starting fall of the 2018-2019 school year. As stated by Keller ISD Director of Safety and Security, Kevin Kinley, “…all middle school and high school students, will be required to wear ID badges while on District property in Keller ISD.” This means all students must wear a visible ID badge provided by the school on a lanyard.

While this policy is intended to help secure the safety of students on campus, the newsletter fails to clarify any disciplinary action for students who forget their ID or simply refuse to bring it to school. This lack of enforcement might lead to students believing that the policy is not something to be taken seriously, resulting in no true change to Keller schools safety or security.

“Honestly I don’t think it’s going to be any help because we haven’t even received our ID badges and kids are going to forget them at home all the time. It’s not going to do much help in identifying the students who might be a threat because a picture isn’t going to tell you what the student is going through or whether they might be carrying a weapon or a plan to harm others.” said junior Praise Anyiam.

Along with the ID badges, the newsletter introduces the use of metal detecting wands on campuses. “In addition to being cost effective, unlike metal detectors, wands can be used anywhere, at any time, without limitations.” said Kinley.

The policy states, “The wands will be used specifically for random screenings of students to detect potential weapons.” ultimately proving to be a security measure for campuses. This policy shouldn’t affect the majority of students who have nothing to hide or reason to be concerned about the random screenings and searches.

Kinley continues to explain other security measures that will go into effect this school year, including increased mobile patrols and parents on patrol, to secure the safety of all students on campus.

“The safety and security of our students is the top priority in Keller ISD.” said Kinley.

Gwen Morovitz, Assistant Editor

Hi there! My name is Gwen Morovitz and this is my second year on The Wigwam as an assistant editor. I’m super excited to be writing again this year,...